Wrought Ironwork Awards at the Great Yorkshire Show
Chief Steward: Mrs A Bradley Stewards: Mr M Constable, Mr Q Thompson, Mr H Adams C.W.C.B., Mr M Grimes, Mr S Reed, Mr I Baxter
Judge: Michelle Parker FWCB
Awards are open to Full Time Practising Blacksmiths, Apprentices and Young Smiths.
Static Competition. Judging at 9.30am Tuesday 10th July 2018
Entries must be taken to the Wrought Ironwork Stand between Avenue P South and Seventh Avenue on the Showground after 6pm on Monday 9th July 2018. All exhibits will remain on display until the closure of the Show on the evening of Thursday 12th July 2018.
Each entry to be an original and completed work made within the previous two years from the date of the Show. No article may be entered which has received an award at a previous Great Yorkshire Show.
If you would like to enter an exhibit into the competition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Show categories detailed below.
- CLASS 1 – PROFESSIONAL/QUALIFIED Single piece of ironwork. Prizes: 1st – £20; 2nd – £15; 3rd – £10 and GYS Certificate
- CLASS 2 – AMATEUR/STUDENT Single piece of ironwork or body of work. Prizes: 1st – £20; 2nd – £15; 3rd – £10 and GYS Certificate
- CLASS 3 – OPEN CLASS Single item under £250 or full body of work (no individual item in body to exceed £250). Items entered in class 1 or 2 not eligible for this class. Prizes: 1st – £15; 2nd – £10; 3rd – £5 and GYS Certificate
- CH1 – SHOW CHAMPION – For the Best Exhibit in Show – The Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths Trophy. This is a perpetual Trophy.
LIVE FORGING COMPETITION – Tue/Wed/Thur
Entrants supply their own tools and materials. Forge, fuel and anvil provided. Time starts when the steel goes into the forge. All entries to be Judged at 2pm on Thursday 12 July
- SP1 – BEST SHOW DEMONSTRATOR – The Thomas Hope trophy. This is a perpetual Trophy. The winner will receive a YAS Tankard to keep. Awarded for dedication to the exhibition demonstrations, visitor interaction and entertainment.
- SP2 – 30 minute – ‘saleable, funtional’ item – No Striker. Cash awards and certificates presented to Professional and Amateur Classes.
- SP3 – 2 hour – any item to incorporate moving parts – Striker Allowed. Cash awards and certificates presented to Professional and Amateur Classes
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Exhibits must be taken to the Wrought Ironwork Stand in Avenue P on the Showground not later than 8pm on Monday 9 Details of exhibits should be emailed to Annabelle Bradley at email@example.com to allow for allocation of exhibition space. Entries may be brought on the Tuesday morning before judging, however exhibition space will be restricted.
- All exhibits will remain on display until the closure of the Show on Thursday
- Exhibits may be collected from the Showground between 6pm – 7.30pm on the Thursday (last day of show).
- A display table or floor space will be available for all items.
- All entries to be priced, indicating normal retail price of the item.
- All entries to be labelled with maker’s name and address, on card or label, not exceeding 3 inches x 6 inches.
- Entries for the three days of live forging competition will be judged on Thursday afternoon, items taken before that time will not be eligible for judging.
- The Judge’s decision shall be final.
Further details can be found in the Great Yorkshire Show competition schedule and guidlines.